Lentil Stew With Mustard Greens and Sausage
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups stemmed and torn mustard greens (about 1 bunch) or kale
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup dried lentils
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the onions and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, mustard greens, sweet potatoes, lentils, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 508
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 32mg
- Sodium 1,003mg
- Protein 33g
- Carbohydrate 56g
- Sugar 12g
- Fiber 14g
- Iron 8mg
- Calcium 251mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Cooking mustard greens for long periods of time helps tame some of their bitterness. If you like greens with a little bite, reserve half the greens and add them during the last 5 minutes of cooking.