Lentil Fritter Pitas With Red Cabbage Slaw
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more for serving
- 4 pocketless pitas, warmed
- In a food processor, puree 1 can of the lentils with the cilantro, parsley, garlic, and cumin until nearly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the bread crumbs, the remaining can of lentils, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Form into sixteen ½-inch-thick patties.
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, lightly mash the cabbage with the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, crushed red pepper, and ¼ cup water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the patties until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side, adding the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet for the second batch.
- Dividing evenly, top each pita with the patties, cabbage mixture, yogurt sauce, and the additional cilantro and crushed red pepper.
- Per Serving
- Calories 384
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 2mg
- Sodium 652mg
- Protein 19g
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 12g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 122mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Love veggie burgers? For a change of pace, form the lentil mixture into 4 large patties, cook in oil until browned, and serve on buns with your desired toppings.