- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest plus 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, salt, and 1½ cups of the flour; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Shape the dough into balls (about 1 tablespoon each) and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Place the remaining ¼ cup of flour on a plate. Dip the bottom of a large glass in the flour and gently flatten the balls of dough into 2-inch disks. Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft in the center, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and the remaining 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Form sandwiches with the cookies and cream cheese mixture (about 1 tablespoon each). Refrigerate until the filling is firm, at least 1 hour.