small yellow onion, finely chopped
dry white wine
low-sodium chicken broth
fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and black pepper
(4 ounces) grated Parmesan
zest of 1 lemon, grated
fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Reduce heat, add the wine, and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the broth ½ cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it’s absorbed before adding more. This should take about 30 minutes total. The rice should be tender but still slightly firm. Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, Parmesan, and the remaining butter and stir until the butter melts.
- Spoon into individual bowls and sprinkle with the zest and parsley.