Yellow Lemon Cake With Candied Lemons and Pistachios
Serves 12| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 recipe Lemon Curd
- 1 recipe Lemon Frosting
- 2 cups chopped pistachios
- 1 recipe Candied Lemons
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch pans and 22 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cooled cakes to a plate and spread with 1 cup of the lemon curd. Top with the remaining cake and refrigerate to set, 30 minutes. Spread the top and sides with the frosting. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the pistachios into the sides of the cake and top with the candied lemon slices.
- Per Serving
- Calories 1077Calories From Fat 600
- Fat 68g
- Sat Fat 37g
- Cholesterol 268mg
- Sodium 255mg
- Protein 12g
- Carbohydrate 112g
- Sugar 85g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 99mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .