Creamy Leek Gratin
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated (1 cup)
- 3 slices sandwich bread, torn small pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 leeks (about 3 pounds)—white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and root ends left intact
- Heat oven to 375° F. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, whisking, for 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread pieces, oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Place the leeks in a single layer in the bottom of an 8-by-8-inch square or some other 2-quart baking dish. Cover with the milk mixture and sprinkle with the bread mixture. Cover the dish with foil and bake until the leeks are tender and the filling is bubbling, 25 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Per Serving
- Calories 325
- Fat 20g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 38mg
- Sodium 807mg
- Protein 10g
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 302mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To clean leeks, which tend to be gritty, trim them according to the recipe, then swirl in a bowl of cold water. The sand will sink to the bottom. Scoop them out and transfer to a colander to drain.