- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds (5 medium) peeled medium-starch potatoes, such as Yukon gold
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- applesauce and sour cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 450° F. Brush 2 baking sheets with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
- Using a box grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade, coarsely grate the potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a large bowl with the onion, flour, salt, pepper, eggs, and the remaining tablespoon of oil. Toss to mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets and press lightly to make patties. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Turn the latkes with a metal spatula and rotate the baking sheets. Bake another 5 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a platter and serve with the applesauce and sour cream.
This recipe makes 2 dozen latkes.