Slow-Cooker Lamb, Apricot, and Olive Tagine
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup couscous
- chopped pistachios, fresh cilantro leaves, and lemon wedges, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the lamb, carrots, onion, apricots, olives, garlic, flour, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ½ cup water.
- Cover and cook until the lamb and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Ten minutes before serving, cook the couscous according to the package directions. Serve the lamb on the couscous with the pistachios, cilantro, and lemon wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 630
- Fat 27g
- Sat Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 122mg
- Sodium 905mg
- Protein 40g
- Carbohydrate 59g
- Sugar 14g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 85mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For extra flavor, brown the lamb before adding it to the slow cooker: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the meat with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, in batches, until brown on all sides. Omit the pepper in step 1.