Kung Pao Chicken
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, skins removed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Stir in the hoisin sauce and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peanuts and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat. Add the chicken and crushed red pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and continue stir-frying until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 2 minutes. Stir in the green onions and the hoisin mixture and heat until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro and serve over the hot rice.
- Per Serving
- Calories 508
- Fat 15g
- Sat Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 91mg
- Sodium 687mg
- Protein 38g
- Carbohydrate 54g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 2.5g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 51mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .