- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large yellow summer squash
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 1 green pepper, seeded
- 2 ribs celery
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups crushed plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 pounds fresh tuna, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick steaks
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground lack pepper
- Roughly chop the onion, squash, peppers, and celery. Pulse in a food processor to mince.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the minced vegetables, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- Season both sides of the tuna with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet and sear the tuna on both sides, working in batches if necessary, until the flesh is just pink in the center, about 6 minutes total. Arrange the tuna over the rice and cover with the Creole vegetable sauce.