Kidney Beans and Rice
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed, or a heaping 1/2 cup dried kidney beans, soaked and cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning or blackening spice mix
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the beans, Cajun seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold the rice and scallions into the bean mixture.
An American staple, long-grain white rice is sometimes known as “Carolina rice.” It has a fluffy texture and a neutral flavor.