Kale and White Bean Soup
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 cup small soup pasta, such as tubettini, ditalini, or orzo (4 ounces)
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan (2 ounces), plus 1 piece rind (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 loaf country bread, warmed
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, celery, onion, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the beans, pasta, kale, rosemary, 8 cups water, and Parmesan rind (if using). Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta and kale are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan before serving. Serve with the bread.
- Per Serving
- Calories 205Calories From Fat 57
- Protein 10g
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Sugar 1g
- Fiber 5g
- Fat 6g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Calcium 225mg
- Iron 3mg
- Sodium 610mg
- Cholesterol 5mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.