Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille, sliced into rounds
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sauté the sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Add the red pepper to the Dutch oven; sauté 2 minutes. Add the celery, scallions, parsley, garlic, and thyme, stirring well. Cook another 3 minutes then add the rice, still stirring. Add the chicken, combining well.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage, tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is done. Stir in the shrimp and lemon juice and cook until the shrimp are just done, another 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Per Serving
- Calories 498Calories From Fat 36%
- Calcium 128mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Cholesterol 167mg
- Fat 20g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 5mg
- Protein 37mg
- Sat Fat 6g
- Sodium 1049mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let frozen leftovers thaw in the refrigerator the night before you serve them.