Chunky Italian Vegetable Stew
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only), sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bunches Tuscan or Lacinato kale or 1 medium bunch curly kale (about 20 ounces total), thick stems discarded and leaves sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans butter, cannellini, or corona beans, rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (about 1/4 cup), plus more for serving
- 6 thick slices country bread, toasted
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes (and their juices), 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan.
- Tear the toasted bread into large pieces and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Serve warm topped with the bread. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 443
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Sodium 1,290mg
- Protein 18g
- Carbohydrate 61g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 12g
- Iron 8mg
- Calcium 384mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .