- 1 baguette, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces low-moisture mozzarella, sliced into 8 pieces
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons fresh oregano, plus more for serving
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush with the oil and top each with 2 pieces of the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and light golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through, 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Break the eggs into the sauce, leaving space between them. Sprinkle with the pepper. Transfer to oven and bake until the whites are set and the yolks are still soft, 7 to 9 minutes. Top with oregano. Serve in bowls with the mozzarella toast.