- 3cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- 1/2cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1tablespoons sugar
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 8tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1cup raisins
- 2tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/3cups buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. With your hands or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Add the raisins and caraway and mix to combine. Add the buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together but is still slightly shaggy.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 8 to 10 times until a uniform dough forms. Shape the dough into a 7-inch round, about 1½ inches thick. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and score a large X in the top, about ¾ inch deep. Bake, rotating once, until the bread sounds hallow when tapped on the bottom, 55 to 65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.