Serves 8-12| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream, whipped to firm peaks
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring 3 cups of the milk to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and the cornmeal. Whisking constantly, slowly add the mixture to the boiling milk. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the molasses, butter, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Set the casserole in a roasting pan, pull the oven rack out halfway, and place the pan on it. Carefully add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the casserole. Cover both pans with a single large sheet of foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil. Bake until the pudding is almost set but still wobbly,1 1/2 hours more. Transfer casserole to a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Spoon onto plates. Serve with the whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Per Serving
- Calories 234Calories From Fat 54%
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 46mg
- Sodium 126mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 4g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .