- 4cups whole milk
- 2/3cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2cup molasses
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/4cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for garnishing
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2cups (1 pint) heavy cream, whipped to firm peaks
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring 3 cups of the milk to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and the cornmeal. Whisking constantly, slowly add the mixture to the boiling milk. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the molasses, butter, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Set the casserole in a roasting pan, pull the oven rack out halfway, and place the pan on it. Carefully add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the casserole. Cover both pans with a single large sheet of foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil. Bake until the pudding is almost set but still wobbly,1 1/2 hours more. Transfer casserole to a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Spoon onto plates. Serve with the whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.