Hot Chocolate Cake
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for coating
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Generously butter, flour, and sugar eight 6-ounce coffee cups or mugs made of ovenproof stoneware. Wipe the rims clean.
- Place the 8 tablespoons of butter and the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt, stirring once or twice until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar at the highest speed until the volume doubles and the mixture becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir the 3 tablespoons of flour into the chocolate, then gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating on low until it's fully incorporated.
- Ladle the batter into each cup until it's about 1/2 inch from the rim. Bake until the cakes puff and begin to crack but the centers are still a bit runny, 13 to 17 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows, then return to oven for 2 to 4 minutes, until the marshmallow tops begin to crisp. Remove from oven; let cool about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa on top.
- Per Serving
- Calories 447
- Fat 29g
- Sat Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 150mg
- Sodium 114mg
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Sugar 30g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 36mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To determine if your mugs are ovenproof, refer to the packaging or check with the manufacturer.