- 3pounds Yukon gold potatoes (about 6; peeled if desired), cut into 2-inch chunks
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4cup whole milk
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4cup prepared horseradish
- 1tablespoon chopped chives
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Add the milk, sour cream, butter, horseradish, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the pot and mash to the desired consistency. Sprinkle with the chives.