- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 16 small bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 375° F. Peel the potatoes to within 1 inch of ends. Place a potato on the counter and put the handle of a wooden spoon along the far side of it. (The spoon handle will stop the knife from slicing all the way through the potato.) Cut the potato crosswise every 1/4 inch, leaving about a 1/2-inch uncut base. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Insert 4 bay leaves randomly between the cuts. Place the potatoes in a baking dish and drizzle with half the butter. Cover and bake about 45 minutes.
- Uncover. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and the remaining butter and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until the crumbs are golden and the potatoes are tender.