- 4cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- 2tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as thyme, sage, and/or rosemary)
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4cups (2 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2cups buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, herbs, salt, and baking soda. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in until crumbly. Add the buttermilk and stir until just moistened (do not overmix).
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times to bring it together. Gently shape into a 1¼-inch-thick disk. Using a 2½-inch round cookie cutter or a small glass, cut out 12 biscuits (flouring the cutter and reshaping the scraps as necessary). Place on 2 baking sheets and bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.