Ham and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 pound good-quality baked ham (buy it unsliced from the deli counter), cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dill, mustard, vinegar, oil, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, shallots, celery, carrots, cabbage, and ham and toss to coat.
- Per Serving
- Calories 423
- Calcium 250mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Cholesterol 34mg
- Fat 20g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 20mg
- Sat Fat 3g
- Sodium 2158mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
If you like, serve this salad over butter lettuce tossed in olive oil and lemon juice.