- 1/4 pound green asparagus, peeled and trimmed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 ounce pine nuts (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick
- Place the asparagus in a pot of lightly salted boiling water. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain. Run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Roughly chop asparagus and transfer to a food processor. Add the garlic, basil, pine nuts, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- With the motor running, pour in 1 tablespoon of the oil and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the remaining tablespoon of oil. Rub the mixture over the steak.
- Grill or broil the steak 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Remove the steak and let it sit, covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
- Divide the steak into 4 portions and top with dollops of the pesto.