Grilled Sausages With Pickled Onions
Serves 30| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 6 12-ounce packages cooked sausages (pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, and/or vegetarian)
- assorted mustards
- Drop the onions into lightly salted boiling water for 1 minute; drain. Place the onions in a bowl with the pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, vinegar, and orange zest; add just enough water to cover. Refrigerate until the onions are bright pink, about 3 hours. Drain before serving.
- Serve with the onions and an assortment of gutsy, grainy mustards.
- Per Serving
- Calories 190
- Calcium 24mg
- Carbohydrate 4g
- Cholesterol 38mg
- Fat 14g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 11mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 595mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Avoid onion-chopping tears by lighting a candle.