- 4 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 2cups cider vinegar
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 6 12-ounce packages cooked sausages (pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, and/or vegetarian)
- assorted mustards
- Drop the onions into lightly salted boiling water for 1 minute; drain. Place the onions in a bowl with the pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, vinegar, and orange zest; add just enough water to cover. Refrigerate until the onions are bright pink, about 3 hours. Drain before serving.
- Serve with the onions and an assortment of gutsy, grainy mustards.