- 1cup long-grain white rice
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 1/4pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 to 7), cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 navel orange, cut into 16 pieces
- 1tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Soak 8 small wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Remove from heat, sprinkle the zucchini over the rice, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and fold in the zucchini.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the chicken, onion, and orange with the oil, cumin, cayenne, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper; thread onto the skewers. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium, lightly oil the grate, and grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the onion is just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve with the rice.