- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 chipotles in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup, packed, coarsely chopped cilantro (leaves and stems)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges each, then halved crosswise
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1¾ pounds)
- Cooked rice and lime wedges (optional), for serving
- Puree the sesame seeds with the cocoa powder, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomato puree, onion, cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ½ cup water in a blender until smooth.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the sauce. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, 10 minutes. Transfer 1 cup to a bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Season the zucchini wedges with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Grill, turning, until charred and tender, 10 minutes.
- Toss the chicken with the chilled sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Grill, turning, until cooked through, 25 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and zucchini with the rice, the remaining mole sauce, and the lime wedges.