- 2cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2cups whole milk
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs, separated and yolks slightly beaten
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a bowl. Set aside 1/2 cup of the graham cracker mixture. Add the remaining mixture to a deep pie plate or pan and press into place using the back of a large spoon. Bake the crust for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat 1 3/4 cups of the milk in a medium saucepan until just boiling; lower heat to medium. In a small bowl, mix another 1/2 cup of the sugar with the cornstarch and the remaining milk. Gradually whisk the mixture into the hot milk and cook until creamy, about 2 minutes. Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks; add this back into the mixture. Stir constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until the custard has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While the custard is cooling, beat the egg whites with 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff. Stir the vanilla into the cooled custard and pour into the graham cracker pie shell. Gently spread the egg-white mixture over the top of the custard. Sprinkle with the remaining graham cracker mixture and place in a 400° F oven for 2 minutes or until the meringue is slightly browned.
- Chill at least 4 hours before serving.