heads bok choy, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
garlic cloves (1 thinly sliced, 2 minced)
14-ounce can vegetable broth
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
fish sauce or tamari
dark brown sugar
toasted sesame oil
14-ounce package firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and drained on paper towels
- Heat half the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy and sliced garlic. Cook, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups broth and simmer until reduced by half. Meanwhile, combine the minced garlic, ginger, fish and soy sauces, brown sugar, and sesame oil.
- Heat the remaining canola oil in another skillet over high heat. Add the tofu and brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the soy mixture and coat the tofu with it. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is syrupy, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the cornstarch into the reserved broth and add to the bok choy. Stir gently until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the bok choy among 4 plates. Layer the glazed tofu on top.