Gingery Apple Crumb Pie
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Basic Flaky Piecrust
- or 1 store-bought piecrust, fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
- 1/2 cup cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds apples (about 5; such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, or Empire), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Set an oven rack in the lowest position and heat oven to 375º F. Place the pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse the butter, ¾ cup of the flour, and ¼ cup of the sugar until large clumps form. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and the remaining ½ cup of sugar and tablespoon of flour.
- Transfer the apple mixture to the crust, sprinkle with the crumb topping, and bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender, 55 to 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Per Serving
- Calories 502
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 186mg
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrate 72g
- Fiber 4g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .