- Basic Flaky Piecrust
- or 1 store-bought piecrust, fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
- 1/2cup cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- 3/4cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2pounds apples (about 5; such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, or Empire), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- Set an oven rack in the lowest position and heat oven to 375º F. Place the pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse the butter, ¾ cup of the flour, and ¼ cup of the sugar until large clumps form. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and the remaining ½ cup of sugar and tablespoon of flour.
- Transfer the apple mixture to the crust, sprinkle with the crumb topping, and bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender, 55 to 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.