Gingersnaps With Crystallized Ginger
Makes 6 dozen cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup more for coating
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cream the butter and 1 3/4 cups sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Lower to medium and add the eggs, molasses, vinegar, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and pepper. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until incorporated. Fold in the crystallized ginger.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions (it will be sticky). Place each portion on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a 12-inch log, 2 inches in diameter. Wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Slice each log into disks, 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in the remaining sugar. Place on a parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake until crinkly around the edges, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
- Per Serving
- Calories 73Calories From Fat 18%
- Calcium 8mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Cholesterol 9mg
- Fat 1g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 1mg
- Sat Fat 1g
- Sodium 72mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
As with produce, take eggs and milk from the back of the case; older merchandise tends to be pushed forward.