- 2 3/4cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- 1 1/4teaspoons ground ginger
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the molasses and egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to ¼ inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into shapes; place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl; gradually whisk in 1 tablespoon water until a thick icing forms. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and snip a small hole in one corner. Decorate cookies as desired and let set.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.