medium carrots, grated
jalapeño pepper, chopped
canola oil, plus more for the grate
kosher salt and black pepper
skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
finely grated fresh ginger
panko bread crumbs
potato hamburger buns, split
- Mix together the carrots, jalapeño, vinegar, oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- In a second medium bowl, gently mix together the salmon, ginger, scallions, bread crumbs, egg, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper with your hands until just combined. Form the salmon mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty (this will prevent overplumping during cooking). Refrigerate, covered, until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate.
- Grill the burgers until opaque throughout and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 130° F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.*
- Stack the Miso Yogurt, burgers, and carrot slaw between the buns.
*This recipe includes the Real Simple test kitchen’s preferred cooking temperatures (considered safe by many experts) for burgers cooked to their juicy best. For maximum food safety, the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends temperatures of 165° F for poultry, 145° F for fish, and 160° F for ground beef, lamb, and pork.