Ginger Chicken Soup With Vegetables
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ginger grated fresh ginger
- 2 32-ounce containers low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 4 biscuits, store-bought or made from a mix (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broth. Stir in the parsnips, carrots, celery, turnip, and ½ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a fork or your fingers, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add the chicken, peas, and scallions to the saucepan and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the biscuits, if using.
- Per Serving
- Calories 325
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 89mg
- Sodium 486mg
- Protein 34g
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Fiber 4g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .