Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 small fennel bulbs, roughly chopped
- 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced (or one 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (32 ounces) tomato or vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 limes, halved
- Working in batches, place the fennel, celery, scallions, onion, garlic, and red peppers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Transfer to a large glass or plastic bowl and stir in the tomatoes, oil, salt, black pepper, tomato juice, lemon juice, and hot sauce, if using.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 6. Serve chilled with the lime wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 289
- Fat 19g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Protein 5g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 84mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Upgrade this refreshing summer dish by adding chopped cooked shrimp or crumbled goat cheese as garnish.