- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 8), peeled and halved
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, cream, butter, garlic, and thyme in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside until the potatoes are cooked.
- Strain the milk mixture into the pot with the potatoes. Add ¾ teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and mash. Sprinkle with the nutmeg before serving.