Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, cover the potatoes and garlic with lightly salted water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet or saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until it begins to brown, swirling the skillet, about 1 minute.
- Drain the potatoes well and mash them with a potato masher or electric mixer until smooth. Blend in the buttermilk, chives, and browned butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Per Serving
- Calories 145
- Calcium 71mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Fat 2g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 5mg
- Sat Fat 1g
- Sodium 56mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
This is a low-fat mashed-potato recipe, but you'd never know it. By browning the butter, you boost its flavor, so you can use less. And the buttermilk only sounds caloric―it's actually low in fat.