- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, cover the potatoes and garlic with lightly salted water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet or saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until it begins to brown, swirling the skillet, about 1 minute.
- Drain the potatoes well and mash them with a potato masher or electric mixer until smooth. Blend in the buttermilk, chives, and browned butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.