- 3 pounds russet potatoes (about 6; peeled if desired), cut into 2-inch chunks
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the milk, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency. Top with the garlic oil and sprinkle with the paprika.