Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Cut 3 of the carrots and 2 of the celery stalks into 1-inch pieces. Quarter the onion. Add the cut vegetables to the pot with the salt, peppercorns, and enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let cool.
- Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables. Return the broth to the pot.
- Thinly slice the remaining carrots and celery. Add them along with the tomatoes to the broth and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Add it along with the spinach and basil to the soup. Cook until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Ladle into individual bowls.
- Per Serving
- Calories 275Calories From Fat 20%
- Fat 6g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 1,394mg
- Carbohydrate 8g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 44g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Use a paring knife to cut fruits and vegetables.