Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 4 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small carrot, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 scallions, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Combine the rice with 4 cups lightly salted water in a large saucepan and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently 25 to 30 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, wok, or saucepan. Add the eggs and cook through, stirring to break up into small pieces. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is golden, about 2 minutes. Add the peas and scallions and cook about 2 minutes more to heat through.
- Stir in the tomato, salt, cooked rice, and eggs and toss until heated through. Fold in the basil.
- Per Serving
- Calories 388
- Calcium 62mg
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Cholesterol 141mg
- Fat 15g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 11mg
- Sat Fat 2g
- Sodium 855mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Use a paring knife to cut fruits and vegetables.