- 10 red or black plums
- 1/4cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2cups whole milk
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup instant polenta
- 1/2cup honey
- 4 large eggs, separated
- whipped cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Slice the plums into a bowl. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of the sugar and toss; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, warm the milk and vanilla. Add the butter, zest, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Whisking constantly, slowly stir in the polenta. Cook, still whisking, for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the honey, egg yolks, and 3 tablespoons of the remaining sugar and whisk until combined. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, beat the egg whites and the remaining sugar until soft peaks form. With a spatula, fold the egg white mixture into the polenta mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes. Slice and top with the plums and whipped cream.