French Dip Sandwich
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 ounces mixed greens (about 6 cups)
- 1 large baguette—cut into 4 pieces, split horizontally, and lightly toasted
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the broth, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, and flour. Season the brisket with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and place in the slow cooker. Cover and cook until very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Ten minutes before serving, transfer the brisket to a cutting board and thinly slice against the grain. Strain the cooking liquid into a small saucepan and reserve the onions. Boil the cooking liquid until reduced to 1½ cups, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the greens and toss to combine.
- Dividing evenly, form sandwiches with the baguette, brisket, and reserved onions. Serve with the cooking liquid, for dipping, and the salad.
- Per Serving
- Calories 680
- Fat 25g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 106mg
- Sodium 1,248mg
- Protein 50g
- Carbohydrate 61g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 8mg
- Calcium 74mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .