- 1 cup fregola or Israeli couscous
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more for pasta water
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon fresh juice (from about 1 large lemon)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- Cook fregola in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Rinse, drain, and spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; let cool 5 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Toss together onions, oil, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper in a medium bowl. Grill or griddle onions, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and white parts are tender, about 6 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Stir together butter, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Just before serving, melt butter mixture in a small skillet or microwave. Toss dill butter with cooked fregola and charred onions. Top with a little more dill.
Tip: Pack the fregola, dill butter, and dill garnish separately. Melt the butter at the party and fluff it into the fregola. Then garnish.