- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Choice of mix-ins:
- 1 minced shallot plus 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, chives, tarragon, and dill)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese plus 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper (except in the blue cheese version, which needs no additional pepper), and your choice of mix-in ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a small serving dish and chill until firm. To serve, top each just-cooked steak with some of the butter.