Matt Romero’s Eggplant “Sandwiches”
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- kosher salt
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn in half
- 2 medium beefsteak or other tomatoes (about 1 pound), sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip the eggplant slices in the flour, then in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), and finally in the bread crumbs, pressing gently to help them adhere.
- Heat half the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half the eggplant until golden brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil and eggplant. Sprinkle the hot eggplant with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Layer the eggplant, lettuce, tomatoes, basil, and goat cheese to form 4 "sandwiches," with the eggplant on the top and bottom of each stack.
- Per Serving
- Calories 549
- Fat 40g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 128mg
- Sodium 448mg
- Protein 15g
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 126mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .