celery stalks, sliced
eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
grape tomatoes, halved
white wine vinegar
kosher salt and black pepper
pine nuts, toasted (optional)
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the celery and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, vinegar, ¼ cup water, 2 ½ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the sugar. Stir into the eggplant mixture.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the capers, pine nuts (if desired), and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to the package directions. Toss with the remaining oil; let cool. Combine with the eggplant mixture and serve.