Eggplant Parmesan With Goat Cheese Sandwich
Serves 2| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (preferably sun-dried, found in the international aisle of most supermarkets)
- 1/3 cup fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium. Brush both sides of the eggplant with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Grill until tender and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Spread 2 slices of bread with the tomato paste and spread the remaining 2 slices with the goat cheese. Form 2 sandwiches with the bread and eggplant.
- Brush both sides of the sandwiches with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then press on 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. (The oil helps the cheese stick.)
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook until the Parmesan has browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Per Serving
- Calories 653Calories From Fat 321
- Fat 36g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 1,844mg
- Protein 25g
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Sugar 15g
- Fiber 15g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 398mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Make it a meal: Serve the sandwich with arugula tossed with halved cherry tomatoes and toasted pine nuts.